Our idea becomes my new life's work. Everything else is child's play. I inch my fingers through the web but it just gets tangled up and stuck. The spider is approaching to feed. Just another random assortment of Nat's thought, brought live from Nebraska.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

How do you argue with that?

By the end I suppose it wasn't an argument at all. I was just saying, "yeah" and "ok." I wanted us to be ok again. I wanted it to be unbroken. I felt like I was staring down at my Benita cut blanket again. It would never be the same. . . but there it was, still lovable, but not right.

I wanted you to know how I felt, and just before I worked up the nerve, there you were, cutting off my first word to tell me you had to go. I guess I just feared that I thought that we were really important, but that you didn't feel the same way.

When you listed the three things you were sure about, it was such raw truth I did not know how to handle it. Even though you probably would never ask, I thought I might let you know that if I were to make a list of the things I am sure about, it would be as follows:
1. I will be a dentist. I don't know whether that will make me happy or be what I truly want at the end of my life, but I will be one.
2. I love sunsets, fresh air and running.
3. I love my family and friends.
4. I love you. I want to be with you.

You are so important that you are a quarter of the things I want. . .

I guess I just felt so safe with you, but you are unreliable.

I just wish you would have let me say what it is that I wanted to tell you, before you so quickly hung up the phone and left us.

What I was going to tell you is this:
'We may argue, or fight, or hate each other momentarily, but at the end of the day, I know that I love you. I love cuddling with you and feeling safe and every night now I dream about you. I dream about laughing with you, about talking with you, just being physically near you and not several states away. But even if you hurt me, I know that you didn't mean to, and the that you still love me, maybe more than anyone else ever has, and no matter what happens at the doctor's office tomorrow, I will be here.'

I don't know how you feel about me. You are sleeping now, and I am sitting awake wondering what's going to happen to us, or if you will ever really hear me again. And I'm scared.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home